Chocolate Rum & Raisin ‘Boozy’ BrowniesBy Mable Tan • Apr 2nd, 2011 • Category: Baking Projects
Happy April Folks! I hope this month will be a happier month for everyone. I’d falsely believed that spring was here until a local guide told me that it’s going to be a long winter this year. Aw boo! Here I was ready to celebrate. No matter, I’ve got some goodies to chase the winter blues. It may be gloomy and grey outside but in here I’ve got flowers, ‘blue skies’, white puffy clouds and most importantly, rum and raisin brownies.
These are the most magnificent tasting brownies ever! You cannot imagine how good it smells when it’s baking. Rum and chocolate is maaaaaaaaddddd. Forget mad, it’s lethal. Thank you Mary Moh of Keep Learning, Keep Smiling for spreading the good joy to this part of the world.
On the Etsy front, thank you all that played the Happee Monkee Yummilicious Postcard Giveaway! The lucky winner to the contest is Fitri of Rumah Manis food blog. It’s been a fun ride and unfortunately, I can’t pick more than one winner. We hope you’ll like the postcards Fitri!
We have more goodies in store. What you see here
are the new, hot from the press, photos available on the Happee Monkee Etsy Shop:
- A glowy white tulip print in 5×7 (inches) to celebrate spring!
- Colourful vintage macaron print in 5×7 (inches) will make your wall lonely no more.
Photos are printed on FujiFilm Crystal Archive Paper and will be sent in a bubble-wrapped mailer and protected by a cello bag. If you like the photos in a set, just send me a message via Etsy or email me [mable (dot) tan (at) gmail (dot) com].
Anyway, here’s my adaptation to Mary’s Rum & Raisin Brownies. Enjoy!
Chocolate Rum & Raisin ‘Boozy’ Brownies ( serves 8)
- 300g dark chocolate, chopped
- 200g butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup rum (I’d used a 38% alcohol content white rum)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp of cocoa powder to sprinkle on the brownies
- Soak raisins in the rum.
- Combine chocolate, butter and brown sugar into a pot and melt under low fire, stirring constantly. Once the mixture is smooth, set aside.
- Whisk by hand eggs, caster sugar and salt together in a bowl.
- Stir the chocolate mixture gradually into the eggs, whisking the eggs as you pour.
- Add flour, walnuts, rum and sultanas and stir until combined.
- Pour the brownie batter into a shallow tin lined with baking paper and bake at 180°C for about 15-20 minutes (Drink in the scent yo!) or when a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, sprinkle with cocoa powder and Eat up! OR …
- Pop the brownies in the fridge for about 2 – 3 hours to get that chewy gooey center.
Note: If I hadn’t run out of oranges I would have zested an orange and added it into the brownies. Oh yummmm!