Ricotta & Rocket Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce & BaconBy Mable Tan • Oct 27th, 2011 • Category: What's Cooking
So, Miss B. is on a three-week gluten-free diet. But before I go on, I digress by saying, the blender blew up. There was a really loud POP! and the only way I knew it wasn’t the bacon fat sizzling was the gradual smoke snaking from the blender. I hope my FIL isn’t too attached to it.
As I was saying, Miss B. is on a gluten-free diet and I thought it’d be easier if everyone went on the same diet. Mainly, because I am way too lazy to cook two separate meals, and really, gluten-free is the easiest thing to cater for. Next to vegetarian. Give me vegan or dairy-free, I’ll probably throw in the towel.
The first thing I did was to type into Google, ‘What is gluten-free?‘ Easy. It’s basically, what I think is, an Asian diet – more rice, no wheat. Fundamentally, the same. Then I find out that there are LOTS of things that contains wheat. Bread, cookies, pizza, pasta, flour…. So, last week, our shopping list got a little longer (and a little more expensive).
I have to say, though, that I’m enjoying this challenge very much. So far I’ve made steak with sweet potato chips; zucchini, pumpkin and feta fritata; Thai style pork mince & rice noodle stir-fry; and paella. I’ve even improvised with a gluten-free ginger cake recipe which is super yummy. This gluten-free thing has lead me to find new recipes that I wouldn’t have tried otherwise.
Anyway, got to share this one – it’s definitely a thumbs up – easy, tasty and ready to eat within an hour. What’s not to love?
Ricotta & Rocket Gnocchi in Tomato Sauce & Bacon
(adapted from Coles Gluten-Free Recipes)
- 750 g fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 cup rocket, chopped
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese finely, grated
- 1 cup gluten free flour, sifted
- 3 large eggs
- extra sifted gluten free flour (coating)
- a pinch of salt and ground black pepper
- 10 black olives, pitted
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of rocket leaves
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 3 rashes of bacon, sliced (Note: Omit bacon for a vegetarian version)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix ricotta, rocket, Parmesan cheese, eggs and flour together with ½ teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Once everything is well combined, scoop a ball of gnocchi mixture – around a tablespoon size – and roll into oval shapes and place on a large plate dusted with a little more flour to prevent sticking.
- Cook a few at a time in a large pan of boiling water for 2 minutes, or until they float to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- For sauce, throw garlic cloves, canned tomatoes, olives and rocket leaves into a blender. Blend well. (At this point, I don’t recommend the blender to blow up)
- Heat olive oil in a medium pan, fry bacon until brown and then, add sauce.
- Simmer sauce for 10 minutes or until thickened. Season and gently toss with gnocchi.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parsley and Parmesan cheese.